Have you ever had an embarrassing or cringe-worthy career moment that thwarted your plans? Here are one or two of mine...

Things can be so strange. As strange as things can be, I think that it is important to be able to laugh at the odd little mishaps that happen in my life. One has to, surely? My mum always said "If you don't laugh, you'll cry." It's funny how although we never had much of a relationship, some of her ways and sayings spring to mind when least expected.

For all of the tough situations that I have come through, I have had a couple of great opportunities that ended up far from my expectations. Like, seriously, oh no, did that just happen? That type of thing. Have you ever had laughable or even cringeworthy things happen in your career to such extent that you are stumped as to why?

I’ll give you just one example out of a number of things that have happened to me. First of all, let me make it clear that I am optimistic; I believe that I am the key to my failure or success. I take responsibility for my actions. I wouldn't say I was unlucky,  I would rather say luck is on my side in general, but then, to be honest, I believe that you create your luck. When you work smart, things may seem to fall into place but I choose to think that these "lucky" experiences happen due to  preparation enabling you to be in the right place at the right time. 

Take acting for example. I'm a singer and songstress first and foremost,  my life is all music as far as I'm concerned. It has been for all of my life, but,  due to a conversation with a friend a few years ago, I have now ended up with the word "actress" as a job title in my resume. I have to say, I fell into acting accidentally.  I hadn't planned or expected that to happen. This is a true story: I had been off work, sick due to a bad back. I was a workaholic, I didn't rest, ever, so during that period my body made me rest. I was out for months. I had taken a brief break from the music industry prior to the back issue, and when it kicked in, I was still burnt out and disillusioned with the whole game. My friend had started acting. He felt I’d be good at it, so I did a casting and weeks later I got my first role. The next thing you know I was on set sitting next to Hugh Grant and Toni Collette. Days later after filming with Hugh, there was also the young Nicholas Hoult and more actors I admired at the time. Life is nuts! It was a brilliant experience. I got to see firsthand that Hugh is actually a brilliant actor, he is funny and great at improvising too. I ended up working with him again along with Renée Zellweger and Colin Firth on Bridgette Jones, the Edge of reason. That's great right? Here was a blossoming beginning of a totally unexpected new career. Well, the craziest “how on earth?” part is this: In the credits of  this smash hit feature film About a Boy, (an opportunity for me to make the break and get some credibility and exposure as an actress) my name showed as, get this: Danielle Harvey. In case you didn’t realise, my name is Danelle, (there isn’t an “I”) not Danielle!  So, just because the person who did the titles obviously didn’t have the best proof and name reading skills, I’ll forever be known on celluloid as Danielle Harvey.
Check out the film’s IMDB page if you don’t believe me! (Scroll down for “Danielle Harvey”)

Now isn't that a right pain in the noodles?

What could I do? The film was already packaged and ready for the masses. For me and where I was at that time, this was  a major disaster on a scale I couldn't tell you. If you have ever had your plans for your career scuppered by an innocent mistake that you couldn't rectify, then you know how I felt then and sometimes still feel to this day.

Another reason this was a kind of important is this. Being indie and doing everything myself, I have to big up everything I do,  be my own publicist! If youare a fellow Indie, you know what I mean and you know how we do... How could I possibly publicise that one? "Oh yes, I had a part in that film. My name is Danelle but my acting name is actually Danielle Harvey - for professional purposes." Yes, I really did say those exact words for a while; they came out once when I was put on the spot about it during a live TV interview for my album, Tortured Soul. I'd felt quite-  duh! I didn't know what else to say without sounding bitter to the credit non-name checking person. Yes, yes, "love, light, peace, grrrr....!"

In fact, I kept the job off of my CV for years. I realise now though that I should have kept it on there. We mustn't let things hold us back. I am learning to laugh at it alongside other crazy episodes in my life.

I could let you in on a few. You would laugh your head off! Just don't ask me to tell you what the absolute gent Max Beesley once whispered in my ear on set, on another film. I'd had a wardrobe malfunction and the world and it's mother were witness to the fact. I cringe to this day about that one!

But, I have to look on the bright side, I got to hear his Mancunian accent up close, and also got noticed by the whole cast and crew, even though that was the least ideal way for that to happen. Trust me, you would be quite embarrassed too!

Thanks Max, you saved me from further embarassment. I'll look on the bright side and will be forever grateful!

Readers, be aware that the full story and explanation will never be told. I just couldn't. It's far too embarrrasing.... **CRINGE***


So, your turn. Any embarrasing anecdotes you'd like to share? Go on, I shared one of mine with you!

As always with my life experiences, there has to be a moral to this story.

Now I'm not saying that I'm no good at acting, but it is clear that singing is my bag. I see that experience as a blatant sign from the Divine to keep on keepin' on. The Divine is advising me to stick to what I am good at!

Anyway, it is clear that I'm much more at home in a recording studio or on stage. If you want to judge for yourself, have a listen to my album:

Listen to Danelle's EP

People, for the sake of my sanity and more importantly my career,  do your part, buy my music and help keep me away from film sets haha!

Only Human EP by Danelle Harvey

Enjoy your week.

Danelle x





Comments

Popular Posts