Danelle Harvey manages to baffle the experts! (Sarcastic title btw)

Haha!

So I just got back from my local (well known) video rental store. I had even managed to baffle the normally ‘expert’ staff while I was there! YAY!

I find it funny that for a second there I thought I’d walked in and asked for something completely different. I'd asked the guy at the till for Breakdance (the complete set) and for some strange reason, he looked at his colleague, they gave some secret team expression between themselves and then they both turned and looked at me blankly as if I’d asked them in Martian!

One asked if it was a new release, and another said “huh”? I responded "No, it is an old film, could it be in your older film section?"

A painful 20 seconds of their blank expressions followed after which point they looked at me and went,

“No”

Worst of all, was when the customers throughout the store seemed to stop and stare at me as if I was an absolute LOON. I was on the phone to my best mate while asking the assistants and she burst into laughter as she had witnessed the whole thing! SHE hadn’t heard of the film either. Quite frankly, with her being one of the best hip-hop dancers I know who absolutely LOVES films like 'You’ve been served' and 'Step Up', I’m surprised that she doesn’t know her street dance film history. Shame on you girl (xxx)

-Or is it the fact that I’m stuck in an ‘80’s time warp?

Don’t answer that.

Just mark my words though, 'Breakdance' will be back with a vengeance one day - Ozone, Turbo and Kelly rule! JJ and others into street dance need to see the film if they haven’t before. I am determined to have a Breakdance fest as soon as I get my hands on the films, I'll probably end up with video tapes at this rate- and yep, I still have my VCR in its rightful place right next to my DVD player! Guys, go check it out if you haven’t already, lets start a revival.

I think that I’ll have a roller skate mini session around the flat just to make myself feel better while I get over the shock that people- my friends included, think that I'm the oddball for asking for a cool old school fantastic movie -

Have a fun weekend!

MUCH love, windmills and poppin’

Danelle xXx

Comments

  1. As someone who was already far too old to attempt the routines in "Breakdance" back in 1984, it really does seem amazing that the video store staff didn't know of its existence. Amazon marketplace have the DVD's of Breakdance 1 & 2 at rather extortionate prices as collectibles.

    Methinks an entrepeneurial young lady such as yourself should be able to launch a petition calling for their re-issue on DVD.

    Hope the roller skating mini session went well.

    Luv from me and my beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm! How did I not see your post until now? It seems that I was ahead of my time with this post as there has since been a steady resurgence of street dance type movies. I believe it is a matter of time before Breakdance is recognised by all as the film that had a large part to play in the popularity of modern world of 'street' dance. I actually have a DVD copy now. By all accounts that video rental store will soon be as non existant as Breakdance was to the staff that day...

    Much love to you both! Hope to catch up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts