Objectivity to one's own creations can be tricky at times...

Do you ever feel like it's tough to take a step back and be objective about your work?
I'm a private person. I'm also extremely passionate, I'm blessed to have a career that serves as an outlet. I live and breathe my songs, and they are like a diary into my crazy world. So when I get into that mode where I start thinking too much about how they'll be received and about how personal they are, there is a danger that I lose my bottle and scrap the songs.

Danelle Harvey - Photograph taken by Steve Rock
But then it's like Danelle, you are an artist, "stop thinking and just let it become whatever it's meant to".
This happens to me from time to time. Not often, but on occasion. Even though I know what I wish to achieve, when it comes to a personal music project that only I am involved in, sometimes I'll find that I've ended up right back where I started. For example, just over an hour ago I found a CD of acoustic demos I recorded over the past 3 years. After listening to the songs I'd planned to release that I'd scrapped months ago, I find that I am actually quite pleased with them, I remembered why the songs meant so much at the time. I'm feeling good and empowered about them all over again.

I believe in myself, the songs came from my soul, I wrote and sang what felt right at the time, so why did I second guess myself? I just had to tell myself, I'm a professional songwriter, I'm a professional singer, I can do this!

This is the part where being both the creator and the label gets tricky. It  isn't sensible to do this totally alone. I'd love some help, to be able to run a couple of songs by a few of you, who encourage and inspire me to do what I do, and to get your views if possible. Who would like to lend me their objective ears so I don't get my 'fro all in a tizzy? I'd be molto grateful. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get back to you when I get back online. Thanks for reading. All love! D x




Comments

Popular Posts